Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Let the creativity flow!



You might remember watching this Mr. Roger's segment when you were a kid. Remember how exciting it was to work with crayons, and most particularly, all the different colors? It was so much fun! As an adult, I've been trying my hand at watercoloring in an attempt to relax and work my artistic muscles. I'm not very good at all, but I enjoy playing with colors and composition. People look at my work and don't really say anything terribly encouraging, but I laugh at myself anyway and keep working.

We've had a few get-togethers in the last couple of months loosely centered around crafty projects such as watercoloring, mostly because it's nice to see what people come up with, and because artistic projects should be undertaken by everyone! Some people are generally gifted and talented at art, and, sadly, lack of talent makes others feel like they shouldn't even try it at all. I try to do away with that nonsense by providing some all-purpose lubrication in the form of booze. Wine loosens up inhibitions just the slightest bit, and even the most reluctant artists take a stab at putting something down on paper.

A friend of mine recently shared an idea for an event involving Bob Ross and The Joy of Painting. The idea was that the group would watch an episode of Joy of Painting, and while watching, would follow along on their own using whatever art supplies were around. I guess the outcomes are pretty interesting! Haven't been able to pull this one together yet, but hopefully we can arrange it in the future.

The plus side of having people come over to paint/draw/whatever is new art to put on your walls! I am tickled every time I look at my friends' art on the wall, mostly because I remember the good times we were having. It really has been fun seeing what other people can do with art, and I hope that it inspires them to spend a little more time on art in the future. All you need is a little practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment